Currently, we have three different unreal builds, though only one is really fleshed out:
FPS model, teleport player based on the location in which the gun projectile hit. The team is discussing the possibility of a reflex based game in which platforms move/disappear actively, making quick decision making and trigger finger the must for a puzzle type game in which the player must reach a destination.
Personally, I think this build has great potentials in making a “body surfing” game in which the teleportation can be justified as energising (electricity) or possession (supernatural). The concept is partially demonstrated in this modification of Half-Life.
The player is a parasitic organism that launches itself at a target to take control of it. We can go with that direction… or something else.
And look, someone out there is kind enough to provide a palette for us to use:
Now we cannot always stay within the palette, especially for more incandescent artworks.
More to come after.
Two weeks left. Should really go on to study electromagnetism so we can get the mechanics right, for it is very different from gravity. For the basic gist of the game, we need visual indicators on the direction of the magnetic field (velocity), and perhaps the direction of the magnetic force, which is always in a right hand-spiral with the field as the fulcrum.
(Wow, really need some efforts to get these posts out on time.)
Just got the team together for one more prototype before the end of the semester, looks like this will be the largest project yet with ten total members instead of the usual six – the team is composed of two producers, five engineers, two artists, and one tech artist.
The project is to be built on the Unreal 4.51 engine, which would presumably become our mainstay of future game making in the Master Games Studio. As in of now, only a few team members are familiar to the technology, and most of us (including me) will need to start from scratch. The topic of this game is electromagnetism, related by name and mechanics to the Magnetic by Nature game created in this studio and Magrunner: Dark Pulse. The hard part would be to make the game different from the two – a tall order, and hopefully we are up to the task.
The setting of the game is loosely based on the “Teslapunk” genre, a similar arts movement to the better known Victorian “Steampunk” and modern “Dieselpunk”. No set art-style yet, though presumably it will need to be bright and heavily stylised. As in of now, it seems like I will have the task of coordinating the two artists on the team, whether or not they can get along well will be known soon.
Debrief for prototype 3:
The project of this month is a serious game built on the Unity3D engine. The topic is Dyslexia, played in the first-person mode through the eyes of a child suffering from this learning disability.
We will start out with what went wrong with the project: the first, and the most glaring issue is getting the team to show up on time – many of the stand-up meetings were delayed because of this issue. The accuracy of the puzzles in the game was questioned, they are not the best representation of the experience of the dyslexic, and will need to be re-imagined. Successful contact with the expert did not happen until the late second/third week, and we did not ask for the expert to show up at the presentation nor have we got the review back before the presentation. The next thing is the SVN conflicts, it seems that iterations will need to occur more often with smaller amounts of changes to prevent crippling damages from occurring to the master files. Those were the problems, now to the positive part.
As Boyd put it, there are no existing examples of these self-demonstrating articles with Dyslexia in the form of video games, so we are on the cutting edge with quite a bit of room for expansions. Art style has remained consistent since the beginning, making adopting new art assets trivial. We have also stuck to the same theme (horror for sympathy) without changing, allowing for the creation of a very solid, focused prototype. Last but not least, group chemistry was excellent, except for the tendency of lateness, all group members kept a consistent line of communication and were supportive of each others. In a way, the ability to cover for each others’ weaknesses hid those problems, and future reveals may be problematic.
Anyhow, submit this project to B2B and hope that there are clear skies ahead.
From the dry run: the overall impression is positive. We will however need Boyd to get back to us for the “right” judgment as none of us here are qualified to do so on the expert level.
Anyhow, edited and implemented some sound files for the game to add to the horror element. Supposedly the protagonist fear its peers as it feels it can never live up to their expectations. These sounds then are mainly laughter, taunts, and jeers that will play whenever a mistake is made. There are also sinister whispering representing gossiping should the player approaches a child outside of a classroom.
Sounds are made much louder when they are converted to 2-d sounds in Unity3D, as they are no longer dependent on the player’s distance to their source and will always play at full volume. This is very good for the door sound effects, as we want to let the player know that solving the puzzle has some effect on the environment – not so well with local sounds such as children chattering.
The directions were clear, we were to create a working level today with four working puzzles and an end state. Most of the arts have been completed and are ready to be used.
Model by Ozum.
The only obstacle left is the expert – we have yet to contact anyone who is willing to represent the group. That must be remedied, and soon.
Just a little bit over a week until the project is due. Here is a preview of the entire playable level in the mean time.
Finish it or bust.
Took a little while, but the result is not too bad looking: