It has been a while since I last posted anything here, mainly because of the upcoming IGF deadline that was fast approaching to submit our thesis game to.
About 2 or 3 weeks before the deadline; we decided to change our first person shooting game into something completely different. Still keeping the 360 degree camera in the game, we decided upon a bullet hell style of gameplay. Where the player would have to make it from point A to point B avoiding certain projectiles, if the player got hit then they would have to try again. Another type of gameplay we included was a similar objective as before, but instead of just avoiding the projectiles; the player also had to collect other balls that are bouncing around the level. Once the player collected all of the required balls; the level is complete.
As a temporary team role system, we chose several people to be leads of specific roles, such as design lead etc. I volunteered to be art lead for this period of time for the final push to IGF and the team appeared to be happy with it. My role as art lead is to come up with the list of art assets that is required for our game for the IGF submission, as well as dividing tasks up between the members whilst making sure each person is happy with the tasks they have been given to make their enthusiasm high.
The main thing we needed to get done for the game was to have it textured, so I set each member of the team to come up with at least 3 ceiling, wall and floor textures for the game, which we achieved within a couple of work days. Looking back, I should have made it so that each artist come up with a set of textures that blend well together as a set, so 1 ceiling, one floor and one wall texture per artist. Which I think would have worked better than the initial way I set out the tasks, but I learned from my mistake.
We have managed to submit the game for IGF and are still currently working on iterating the art, design etc. for future builds.