IGF Submission is 1 week away

The title of this blog post should elicit different reactions based on who is reading.  If you’re family or friends reading this it explains why you haven’t seen me in a long time.  If you’re games industry people, it’s an exciting time when a lot of new student releases start to surface and we get a sneak peak at all the cool things going on.  Or if you’re EAE cohort 4, it makes you panic a little bit.

Needless to say we’re firing on all cylinders getting the game ready to submit to the contest.  I’ve been hard at work making sure we meet the submission requirements, which isn’t always a cut and dry thing.  We are working with a composer at the school to do the score for our game, and he’s not a student so I had to reach out to IGF to make sure this would be OK.  After some waiting and worrying that we wouldn’t be able to use his work, I actually got a reply from the chairman of IGF himself and he said that as long as it was just the music and the rest of the work came from us that it should be fine.  So that was a huge relief.

I then needed to figure out how to make an Installer package for a Unity project since this is one of IGFs rules, automated installation and unistallation.  Luckily I stumbled upon this blog post and this software, and it makes it all pretty easy.

I’ve also been leading the charge for our online presence for the team, we have our website up at www.allisdust.com and you can find us on Twitter @ALLisDustGame or on Facebook.  It’s a lot of work to keep up on all these different platforms (you can tell I’ve let facebook suffer the most) but it’s going to be really important for us if we want to be noticed at all.  We’ve also used do.presskit by Rami Ismail of Vlambeer for any press that may be interested in doing a write up on us.

It’s crazy how I’ve been able to talk this much without really even getting into the game, but that’s kind of where a lot of my work goes into.  I get to help talk about design and goal-orientation with the team here and there, but between keeping up an online presence, worrying about SEO, contest submissions, and every other supplementary thing my time is pretty split.  I have been learning CSS and a little HTML for my work at the GApp lab and for the web stuff for the team, so I’m very grateful for the opportunity it’s given me to expand my skills.  But I do wish there were more hours in the day.

In other news Owen, one of our wonderful sound guys, has been hired as a sound designer at EA Salt Lake, and has to suspend his work on the team once he begins there.  We’re super excited for him and we’ll miss having his expertise here, but also so grateful that we got him for the months that we did!

It’s down to the wire for sure, the team is doing another nighttime game jam tonight to clean up some things and polish up the build that we’ll submit.  We’ve reached a place where the game is starting to get scarier and we’ll be proud to submit what we have, then we get to spend the next months improving on it and adding a little extra content.

Thanks for checking in and hopefully I’ll be better about regular updates in November!