Monthly Archives: January 2015

A much simpler mechanic!

We’ve been struggling to find the fun with our game for quite a few months, but we decided to simplify our mechanic in an attempt to make it feel more meaningful.

The previous mechanic had players toggle between two sets of tiles. If you chose to turn on the first set of tiles, each tile you captured thereafter would be added to the set. When you decided to toggle to the other set, these tiles would disappear, and the tiles in the other set would be re-activated. But this led to lots of accidental deaths, and players weren’t really making use of the mechanic. In order to address this, Skip, one of our engineers, decided to prototype a mechanic where you destroyed the tiles permanently when you toggled them off. This felt a lot better during playtests, and we decided to go ahead with it as our core mechanic

The Final Semester

I began the final semester of my masters program this week with mixed feelings. On the one hand, I was a little sad knowing that I would be with these wonderful classmates and teammates only for 5 more months, but on the other, I was excited at the prospect of entering the games industry after I graduate ( a childhood dream!).

Moving on to the status of our game. It was sound at the core, but it was pretty buggy. We had a lot of camera and aiming issues which we needed to address, among other things, and get our game publish worthy. We discussed at length what we should aim to accomplish by the end of February, so that we could have a better game for GDC. I was in charge of the UI and menus ( which needed some tweaking). We already had a menu system architecture put in place by Ron and myself, but it needed some major changes, and that is what I decided to tackle for the week.