Monthly Archives: March 2014

GDC!!!!

EPIC! No other word can describe my trip to GDC. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Everything from the Amtrak journeys to the networking parties were great.

I got to see ( and in some cases talk!) to some of the big names in the industry. It was a tiring week, with visits to the expo and career floor during the day, followed by late-night parties(Strictly for networking. Well, almost always). We would crash as soon as we got back to our rooms.

We visited the guys at the Unreal Engine 4 booth to talk about our game, and ask them whether they felt UE4 would be a suitable engine for developing the Hostile Territory. We saw some of the features of UE4, and were impressed with the blueprint system, which would help the produces help code parts of our game as well.

I bough an expo pass for GDC2013, since this was my first time, and I wanted to test the waters. I’m sure I’m gonna buy an all-access pass for next years GDC.

Time to wrap up the rest of this semester now.

 

Spring Break(out)

The industry pitch was awesome! Kudos to the producers on pitching our games so well.

Most of the games industry panel felt that Hostile Territory was in a better place, and had elements which were clearly fun, whereas Re-Genesis would make for a more indie game, but lacked direction as it was. We decided to go ahead with Hostile Territory as our thesis game.

The end of the industry pitch meant the start of a well deserved spring break. I had already chalked out my plan for the break. We had to get the collision system for our game engine ready for our C++ class. I was going to attend GDC the week after spring break, and knew that I wouldn’t have time to work on it after getting back from GDC.

So I spent most of my spring break working on my collision system, and changing my Monster Chase game into a Breakout game, with would help me test the collision system much better. It literally took me around 15 hours to get the collision system in perfectly. One of the major problems I encountered was a drop in frame rate. I initially thought it was caused by my collision code, but later figured out that I was spewing too much debug!

Now for some rest, and GDC

N Sides

Even though the pipe was serving its purpose well as a level, I could foresee tons of problems and limitations it could place on our territory control mechanic. Besides, my mind was set on developing a cylindrical level with individual tiles. And so I did!

Here’s the code

Angle=360/NumberOfSides;
DistFromCenter= (m_Tile.transform.localScale.y*0.5f)*Mathf.Tan(Mathf.Deg2Rad*(180-Angle)/2);
for(int i=0;i<NumberOfSides;i++)
{
for(float j=-LengthPieces;j<=LengthPieces;j++)
{
Tile=(GameObject)Instantiate (m_Tile,new Vector3(DistFromCenter*Mathf.Cos(Mathf.Deg2Rad*i*Angle),DistFromCenter*Mathf.Sin(Mathf.Deg2Rad*i*Angle),j*m_Tile.transform.localScale.z),Quaternion.identity);
Tile.transform.eulerAngles=new Vector3(0.0f,0.0f,i*Angle);
print (DistFromCenter);
print (Mathf.Tan(Mathf.Deg2Rad*(180-Angle)/2));
}
}

 

Simple, but plenty of trigonometry. I coded it such that you could change the number of sides.  This was probably the most fun part of the project for me to code. Watching it work flawlessly gave me pride!

 

We spent some extra effort on the prototype, in lieu of the pending industry panel pitch. Since I had access to the individual tiles, I could now create a new type of projectile which would delete the tiles on collision. This made a game a lot more exciting

The final version of the prototype had four types of projectiles:

One which did direct damage

One which froze platforms

One which unfroze platforms

One which destroyed the tiles

Looking forward to the industry pitch!