Skip navigation

Category Archives: Bounty Blast

So, work on the Bounty Blast prototype ended on 10th October. This prototype had a bunch of ups and downs, from getting an awesome working uild in Unity, to being told that we can’t use Unity, and with only a week left, finding the gem known as Construct 2 and getting another solid working build in a week. Yeah, this prototype taught how things can drastically and suddenly change in development, and how we have to work with changing requirements, while still meeting a deadline. It also taught me that without proper communication, the concept of a team falls flat. To give you an idea of what happened in these 3 weeks, here is a post mortem we did:
Bounty Blast Post Mortem

As you can see, the first thing we were happy about was that we didn’t have to use MOAI. IN our previous prototype we had no option but MOAI, and every single engineer hated using that. Then, after we had a solid game idea, we got a working Unity build, and after spending two weeks on it, we were told that unity can’t be used. This happened on Roger’s birthday, and I remember the lunch that day, our entire team was there, but we were in complete silence. Then my friend Binoy told me about Construct 2, and how quick and easy it is to use. I had the new build ready in about 2-3 hours (though Matt thinks I was up all-night :P), and spent the morning of Wednesday just making tiny changes to make sure the Matt shows up in his pirate costume the next day. One of the big negatives that happened was communication. Our team as a whole couldn’t commuincate properly with my fellow engineer, Jinzhi “George” Zhang. This resulted in me doing pretty much all the engineering work (not that I’m complaining), but it would have been better if we could have actually worked together. Well, lesson learned for the future! Thats it for now, thanks for reading, and be sure to play Bounty Blast here.

Remember the part about using Unity because it supports both Flash and Web Development? Well throw that out of the window because Unity only supported flash in its older versions, and that too only with a license. And the beautiful part is that buying the license gives access only to the latest version of it, which has no Flash support. And, games developed with Unty for “Web Development” use Unity Web Player, and not HTML5 as we had hoped. So, it turns out that we can’t use Unity now, and all the work that we had put in in making the prototype is simply useless now. Also, did I mention the fact we have only three weeks for this prototype instead of four? And now that our first week’s work is useless we have only two weeks left to make a game from scratch, and in a language that I’m not familiar with.
After these developments, I spent the rest of the day thinking about how I am going to make this work. Then one of my friends told me about Construct 2, an editor made specifically to make games in HTML5. I checked it out, and in 3 hours I had a prototype ready which did everything that the Unity prototype did by Tuesday (1st October). This result was partly fueled by what my producer Matt said: “If you get the prototype working again by Thursday(3rd October), I will come to the class dressed as a pirate.” Needless to say, I was not going to miss this opportunity. So I have Bounty Blast (The name of our game), up and running here. Let me know how it is! And yeah, that’s Matt in the center.

After the completion of the first prototype, we were divided into new teams, with my team comprising of Matt Jensen and Antonio Revard (Producers), Cory Haltinner (Artist) and Jinzhi Zhang (Fellow engineer). This time, instead of making a game for our “clients”, we were asked to take an old arcade game (late 70’s to early 80’s), and put a new twist on it. Our team decided to go for the classic Asteroids game. The twist we decided on was based on the theme we chose for our prototype. Instead of a spaceship, the player now controls a pirate ship. This led to an overhaul in the movement and firing mechanics. The pirate ship can’t go in reverse, has a large turning radius, and shooting can happen only from the sides, instead of the front. We also decided that rather than giving a fixed playing area that was visible the entire time, the playable area would be larger. Also, the ship would not wrap around the playing area, i.e. when you reach the left side of the area, you won’t automatically reapper on the right side. With this base idea in mind, we went ahead with our game.

Another condition of this prototype was that we had make it in Flash or HTML5. We decided to make it using Unity3D, as it supports both Flash and Web Development. Also, our producer Antonio is experienced in Unity, making the job of engineers easier. Starting off with Unity seems promising, and coupled with the great idea that we have, I’m sure we’ll have a fun prototype by end of this project!