Game Projects 3 First Quarter in Review

Hostile Territory development has been going well.  I have assumed more responsibility on the team.  I am now responsible for creating builds for production to play.  That means I ensure that the build works and that the behavior of all the systems is working enough to be reviewed.  I am also an engineering voice on the design team.

The entire team has been prototyping for our final design which has been amazing.  The team will be making the cut for design Thursday.  I am unsure how the team wants to go about making the cut, but I am going to prepare some possible cohesive designs to help prevent unfounded team arguments.

There have been advancements in the engineering behind the game since the start of the semester.  Saumya and myself were able to fix camera jitters.  Saumya was able to find the source of controllers not providing input.  Shelwin and Sty have been adding interesting shaders that make the game look better and an orb that chases players, claims tiles and explodes after a duration.  Triston has been managing the group and ensuring people have work to do.  Peijun and George added bombs, which needed touching up, but are currently working well.

I have been floating on the team with regard to tasks.  Generally during the class hours when everyone is here I help others do their work.  My first major individual contribution to the project for the semester was to fix the camera backward movement jumping issue.  Afterward I added ring removal as per Rody’s request.  The feature has since been cut do to not supporting a meaningful design.  I fixed the bomb and a speed up/slow down mechanic that were added by others, but weren’t quite working.  I also added light cycle mode to the game.

The team is trimming the design on February 6th.  I have a bad feeling about how the meeting related to trimming will go.  The team lacks a common vision for the game which means the design suffers.  During the last month the team has had amazing contributions from engineers due to removing the constraints that existed design wise last semester.  Now constraints are coming back.

I am going to try to get the team excited about the return of constraints.  I want to keep the team working well together.  There are talented engineers on our team.  I would hate to see their moral broken by a design dictator.  The goal for the team design wise is to prune features that don’t fit a frenetic arcade game.

Leave a Reply