EAE Fest Success

EAE day was yesterday.  I enjoyed being part of EAE day and showing off Hostile Territory.  Hostile Territory has had an interesting journey since I joined the team in August 2014.  The journey is marked with iteration focused around the core idea of indirectly attacking the opponent.

The current entry will focus on the end of spring 2015 development for Hostile Territory.  I am going to be working backward in a reflective manner with subsequent entries.  I am looking to build the Hostile Territory story from August 2014 to spring 2015.

The last two weeks have passed quickly.  I have been exploring networking as a feature for the game.  I was able to get a server/client system with lobby running toward the beginning of exploration, but finding the data that needs transmitted proved to be difficult.  Building networking after a game has seen active development for nine months is a daunting challenge.  Networking for Hostile Territory is not a two week task, but is a possibility for the future of Hostile Territory.

I was unable to devote large amounts of time to development during the past two weeks.  I was behind in game engineering and devoted all my time outside of class to game engineering.  I was able to go from finishing work due in February to completing the most recent assignment in a little over two weeks.  I regret not staying current in game engineering, but I learned a lot by attending every class and getting the work done.  I doubted I could get caught up, but I kept my nose to the grindstone and resolved to finish the work.

EAE Fest was yesterday.  I was able to show off Hostile Territory to many people.  Hostile Territory was well equipped for EAE Fest being a fast multi-player game.  I was most surprised by my teams reaction to players reactions.  Players were having fun with our game and that surprised some of my teammates.  I was happy to see that design efforts to playtest everything have paid off.

The design process going into the spring semester has been to constantly play the game making tweaks and trying them.  There were tweaks I was unable to put together, but for the most part if there was an idea I tried to build it as quickly as I could so we could continue playing the game.  The approach was not only agile, but also facilitated continuous integration of new ideas and polishing of old ideas.  Continuous integration tools are becoming more common in the software industry.  For a small team a software package is probably too much, but being able to sit together, play the game and make changes within minutes accomplishes continually integrating new ideas from anywhere and anyone on the team.

There have been murmurings of continuing Hostile Territory development as a side project.  I know that there is something interesting and fun in Hostile Territory.  I still believe Hostile Territory, the game and team, have mountains of potential.  I will continue to develop Hostile Territory when able.