post

Week 16 – EAE Open House, finals, and all-natural junk food.

This last week of school has been a blur. So much happened I’m kind of having trouble parsing how it occurred at all.

We began the week with our usual all hands meeting, in which Tina put together a wonderful little retrospective presentation of how we got to where we are right now. It’s a fun little trip down memory lane:

The game design-wise was in a good place, the new ping effect is wonderful, we’ve receiving a lot of good feedback about it. We began working on polishing everything up for the open house, this included dressing and lighting the new levels, fixing menus, and implementing the new streaming level system we had been experimenting with for the last few weeks. It’s that last bit that kind of broke before the open house, so there was a bit of crunch involved with getting it back up and running in time. But hey, it happens.

Matt was busy putting together a looping video for us to play at the event. We had a large projector, but we didn’t necessarily want to have people’s playthoughs showing on the main screen. I wanted constant motion that would show off the best features and visuals of our game, and Matt totally came through. Best part is, we listened to the music for about 5 hours straight that night, and I still love the hell out of it. Our sound guy Keaton is a master.

The Open House was a great success for us. We showed really well, got some excellent feedback about the game from our friends, families, industry folks, and other students. It was absolutely exhilarating to show off on a large scale like that. My buddy Victor even won our speed run trophy, he played through until he found all the secret passages and then ran the whole thing in about two minutes. I was even on TV for a little bit along with many many other students, and I didn’t mess up too badly!

Here are some screens from the event:

So, all in all it was a fantastic event. Between getting everything in the game ready and then getting everything for the event ready, I was exhausted but really happy. Now if I can just get my other finals done, I can fully appreciate what an amazing trip this semester has been. 😀