post

Week 4 – on cones, accessibility, and ghosts.

11 Days To Alpha
40 Days to IGF Deadline

Many things happened this week. Most of them involved research. The first was pretty rad actually, Tony came back from the weekend with some feedback that his colorblind friends couldn’t play the game at all. This led to a conversation about making the game friendly for our colorblind friends on multiple spectrums.

Tina actually did her class project in the User Experience class about this very subject, so it was easy for her to pull up her sources. In addition to her resources, I found a really great article on Kotaku about the challenges from a colorblind player, and the games that attempt to make an enjoyable experience for colorblind players.

One thing I am very interested in doing is making the color palette usable to folks with green/red color anomalies (Deuteranomaly and Protanomaly respectively). While they can’t see the colors fully, there is a difference in how they see the colors. This is helped by keeping the different colors in high contrast with each other.

Full color test (full color vision)

colorTEST

 

 

 

 

 

 

Green anomalous color test

deutTEST

 

 

 

 

 

 

Red anomalous color test
protanTEST

 

 

 

 

 

 

The color tests are ok, there seems to be enough differentiation in the color to be fairly readable to a colorblind player. But this is clearly not enough. One thing that can help colorblind players differentiate between colored areas is adding some kind of symbol or texture. Since we were planning on doing this anyway to help players understand what the different tiles are supposed to do, it seemed like a very easy thing to implement for our colorblind players as well.

Coming up with a symbol library proved to be somewhat difficult however. Last week I posted some concepts for the tiles, but they were all a bit complicated and couldn’t easily be implemented for our build. So I came up with a super simple iconography to use.

tiletest

 

This won’t be the official iconography, but it is simple enough to use for now. We ended up switching the circle and triangle symbols based on feedback.

Next up I spent some time concepting out the massive enemy dominant. It is supposed to be a thing visible from anywhere in the level that directs the player to the final location, which will be somewhere inside the enemy. During the later levels, the enemy will be shooting things out and destroying parts of the places you’ll be running.

 

enemyScene

Destruction concept. Stuff on the right is unclaimed space, stuff on the left is claimed space that has been “fixed” by the enemy

enemyconcepts-Recovered

Enemy concepts and organizational flow of claimed spaces

 

post

Week 14 – Crunch, feedback, and “the thing”

Two weeks until the end of the semester, one week until our “final”, EAE Day. This week was mostly spent fighting with Unreal. It’s not that it’s difficult to use or anything, it just has… quirks. But all engines do, and since this one’s brand new it just has a few more. But Friday Vinod got it to work and we have a game! And according to Roger, it’s fun! I believe his exact, non-ironic word was “slick”. So that’s a good sign when Roger likes the mechanic. He didn’t like the theme, but that’s ok, it was just an initial go at a theme anyway.

Next week, polish polish polish and EAE day. Sorry for the short post, but I’m beat and I still have all the other stuff for the other classes to do. 🙂

734560_10152338235682878_3305341502379626986_n