Week two – the first full week back to business. I’m not entirely sure how I made it through in one piece. There is much to be said for Tylonol, lattes by Josh at Beans and Brews, and the undying support of my team and co-workers (read: friends).
The week started out with the animation class with Nathan Lindsay, an all around animation genius and great teacher. Animation class will be super fun. And my User Experience class with Amy is shaping up to probably be my favorite class this semester.
Projects is going to be very interesting this semester.
Last week we were tasked with coming up with 100 game ideas to eventually whittle down to our thesis. Thankfully, my team is full of intensely creative and well-read people, so that wasn’t an issue at all.
On Tuesday we broke out into individuals and groups and presented ten of our games to other members of the cohort for feedback. This was probably one of my most favorite times in class, some ideas were so out there and wonderful I’m really excited to see what the other teams decide to start developing. After spending about two hours doing that, we met back up with the team and presented our top three games according to the feedback we received. if(button_pressed) naturally was chosen, and we decided to start developing games based on how to portray mental illness, how to build a robot to perform certain functions, how to hack a person’s brain, and our wildcard game Body Pillow RPG.
A quick note on Body Pillow RPG. This really did begin as a total joke. Half of the engineers were ready to defect to other teams when we voted on this one. But Tina and I saw a real potential. I see is as an opportunity to explore something that is somewhat of a hot topic right now. With films like Lars and the Real Girl and exquisite Her exploring intimate relationships with inanimate things, and how the class reacted to Japanese dating games, I thought this is a great time to make a game exploring topics that no one is particularly comfortable.
So, from there we spent the next 48 hours putting together six-page design outlines for each game. The art team was in charge of putting together mood boards that represent the potential look and feel of the games. We also spent some time looking over the design documents (well done, Matt) and helping with the design of some of the games. It was a bit rough, we all worked pretty late on it.
So Thursday rolls around, we were all a bit punchy from not sleeping. The presentations as a whole, were lacking. Everyone in the class was wiped, and it showed. The class was asked to rate the games based on things like gameplay innovation, desire to play, desire to work on, things like that. We then gave the votes to Jose for calculation and analysis, which we will get the results on Tuesday. So we had a bit of a break to regroup and revealuate, which is good. We’ll see what Tuesday has to bring!