Our final prototypes have begun! We got to pick our own teams this time and make whatever game we wanted as long as it’s in Unreal Engine.
I’m on a team with a good mix of people I’ve worked with before and people I haven’t worked with. There’s 8 of us this time instead of the usual 6 that we’ve had in the past, so I’m excited about what we’ll be able to accomplish.
The idea we’ve come up with is (working title) Practice Makes Deadly, a fighting game where you fighting style determines your characters stats. Basically, both players start as the same weak character and then start mashing buttons–but every button press results in experience gained in that action — running, jumping, punching, whatever–and the character starts to alter based on those actions. After a certain period of time, the two players are allowed to start attacking each other. Whoever uses their time more wisely and lands the best moves will come out conqueror.
We’re heavily inspired by other brawler-type games out there, especially Samurai Gunn, which other members of my team really, really love and I had never heard of it before today.
There’s a lot of passion and excitement from the team for this project, and already we’ve established roles and talked about process much more than my other teams, so production should be very smooth as well. As long as we don’t fall too in love with our own ideas, iterate, and communicate, I’m confident we’ll come out with a great game.
Well, we did it. Rockstar Factory has been pitched and passed inspection and now we all move on to new teams. It turned out a lot better than I ever thought it could, especially last week when it looked like we had so little. I’m really proud of my team for all the work they put in this week to make it all come together today.
Have a look for yourself at how things looked by final pitch:
Pretty cool how it all came together–and they even managed to make it code in real time, thus different solutions can solve the same problem as long as the end result is right.
Afterward, we did our traditional postmortem, listing all the good and bad things that happened throughout the process of development on our game. Here’s the image of the white board we worked on:
We summed things up into six main takeaways: 1. More solid design (meaning more detailed design in the beginning to get working faster and better). 2. Scope!!! (Keep it in scope). 3. Better visualizations of the design to guide everybody’s work. 4. Team programming. 5. Communication. 6. Don’t do everything yourself (goes with the previous one).
This was a great experience for me. I can’t wait to go into one last prototype and see what my next team and I can cook up.
Work on our debugging game has come a long, long way and we’re making the final sprint for the final pitches on Thursday. We had a dry run of the pitches today and it went pretty well for us, but there’s a lot of work we need to put into this before Thursday to really get it ready.
I’ve been really proud of our team. Over the past week, we’ve really come together and found our groove to start cranking things out.
Specner had the awesome idea to make the rockstars in our game just be our professors. Have a look at them below!
There’s still a lot of work to be done, but I’m confident we’ll have a good showing on Thursday.
For the past couple weeks, I’ve been making a lot of flow charts. Like, a LOT of flow charts. Here’s four:
Our game, Rockstar Factory, is coming on rather slowly, admittedly, but we’ve made some progress. These flow charts represent the different “functions” the player will edit in the game. They’re the “code” that will be broken and the player will need to fix in order to produce proper guitars. We have a playable first level, but we need to make these flow charts playable. Hopefully, everything comes together. It’s been tough because our artist’s wife just had a baby and one of our engineers isn’t here today, but I’m still confident in our team to pull things together by the time we have to pitch next week.