We just got done with our final pitch for Catacombs. It went very well. We decided to do a live, multiplayer demo of our game because it was so stable. We used the main 80″ screen in the studio and found another 60″ screen for the second player and had them showing the point of view from each player so the audience could know what was going on. Sean did a little play-by-play explanation of the game while Shane and I played it. It went over very well and I am proud to have worked on such an amazing team.
Things we did well
One thing we did that I’m very proud of, is that we all were able to understand exactly what the game was going to be early on. We were able to communicate effectively and respectfully to each other so we were able to work as a cohesive unit instead of a group of individuals.
Another thing we did well is that we set clear, weekly goals and we worked hard to hit those milestones in the time we gave to ourselves. The first week we had to learn what we were capable of and because of this, we did have a late night, working well into the morning. I think I had time to go home, shower, eat, and come back, ready for the pitch. After that week, though, we got better and better about hitting our deadlines and using the time we had more efficiently. I think that was due, in part, to that late night the first week. None of us wanted to do that again.
Things that weren’t so good
It took us a while to bite off chewable sections of this project. At first, when we asked everyone how long they thought it would take to finish a certain task, they responded that everything was possible, which isn’t true. As stated above, we learned that lesson quickly and learned what we were capable of as a team. This is probably something that every team has to go through in order to be effective, but I’m glad we learned that it was a problem so quickly. It could have seriously effected the quality of the game if we did not learn quickly.
We made a design pivot mid-way through the build. If you have read all the posts up to this point, you may remember that I didn’t want to do this again. In this case, the pivot was both good and bad. It was bad because we decided to drop one of my favorite features of the game because we didn’t have time to finish it. The “trust” element of the game was something that we worked very hard on developing and was a major part of our pitch. Without it, we weren’t sure how to sell the game. Past that, it made the prototype better. Since our resources were no longer spread out in an attempt to make this feature work, the rest of the game got stronger. In this case, I’m glad we did it. We found out that we didn’t need it to sell the game after all, and we made a much stronger showing with our live demo than we could have otherwise.
Thank you to the whole team for doing an amazing job and showing that a solid idea backed up by hard work will almost always pay off.