Monthly Archives: October 2013

Week 7 – Thursday

Today we made the final pitch for the game.  It was received very well by supervising faculty.

Our superiors played the game and each found it enjoyable and challenging.

Advice was given on ways to expand the game into the future, and possible future iterations of features of the game if we decide to proceed to full production.

The game fit the guidelines of the project properly, and was also found to be refreshing and fun to the modern gaming community at the University of Utah.

Week 7 – Tuesday

Today we have decided to alter the first level to reflect an easier level of difficulty by reducing the aliens’ rate of fire.  This will reduce the tendency for player frustration in the game by reducing the probability of outcomes which prevent the player from being able to reach bombs with the shield due to random bullet occurrences.

We have changed the background music to a faster paced and more fun tone soundtrack.

We are preparing out pitch for the game for this coming Thursday.

Week 6 – Thursday

Today we have a near finished prototype for presentation to the department.

We have conducted extensive play testing and have received varying opinions of difficulty depending on audience gaming experience.

bandicam 2013-10-08 11-13-53-257

We have reduced the size of the missile explosions, and added the UI elements shown on the screen above.

We also have added sound effects and background music.

Week 6 – Tuesday

Today we made many significant changes to the game.

First:  We have chosen to move the cities to the bottom of the screen to achieve a better flow of the game.

Second:  Instead of 2 large cities, we are going to add a continuous line of cities covering the bottom of the screen broken into destructible sections.

Third:  The game will only allow 3 cities to be destroyed before the fail-state.

Fourth:  We have changed the shield to absorb the bombs, and, if the bombs are absorbed in three correct locations (left, center, right), missiles will be loaded into these locations which fire in unison after a short delay following a complete 3 position load.

The latest version of the game is playable here:


Week 5 – Thursday

Today we have completed a simple working prototype of the game.  Objects in the game are not represented by art assets, however these will be implemented shortly.

We have been struggling learning how to work with HTML5, but things are moving along.

We have decided to alter the game to include a single shield and cities on left and right side of the screen.

We are toying with ideas about powerups involving missile barrages.

Also we have decided to use explosion animations and an animation for burning cities.