Today we grouped into a brand new team, and began brainstorming new ideas for a game.
We want to design a game that is based upon a title from the early 80s and expands upon its structure to effectively solve a problem inherent in the game.
We have chosen to use Space Invaders as our template. I feel that the original game is lacking in complexity. To fix this we propose to add increasing numbers of positions that need to be defended (as opposed to just the player space ship itself) in the form of cities. Also, we have decided to add a wave based progression element to add difficulty and replay ability to the game.
There will be 2 types of enemies: fighters and bombers. The fighters will constantly shoot at the player from the front row, while the bombers will spawn separately and bomb the cities. There will be movable shields that serve to protect the cities from bombs, however, there will be less shields than there are cities. Also the flight path of the player’s ship will ring around the perimeter of the screen, where other cities can be located. Power ups will spawn in random locations around the perimeter. One power up example will cause the city shields to repel back enemy bombs, which will in turn destroy the bombers.
We will keep the standard score based element in the game.
Today we made our final pitch of our game. Before we came to class today we recorded the final gameplay video for the pitch. Enjoy!
The pitch was received well. The team worked very well together throughout the project.
We performed a post-mortem outlining the shortcomings of the project and how we could improve.
Now on to the next project!
Today we did a dry pitch of our game, and included a gameplay video of the basic mechanics. Afterward we added the remaining mechanics to be able to demonstrate a full play through ( correct and incorrect responses for ingredients, correct destinations of the bowl and pan, and the artwork for the bowl mixture) of Recipe Master. Before class next time we will include a finalized video of the full playthrough.
JenJen and I continue to modify and improve the presentation and the handout.
The game is looking good.
Today we continued to battle with a mechanic bug, but had a working prototype by the end of the day.
We will be adding a gameplay video to the presentation and adding the finishing touches.
We have added most of the assets for the 2 recipes that will be included in the game.
Today we are working on getting the presentation ready for next week. Also, we are still working on a few bugs in the drag and drop mechanic, as well as implementing target locations for the recipes.
Today we had our first stand up meeting. We discussed what needed to be done this week.
Our goals were as follows:
Complete the assets for recipe number 2 and 3.
Ascertain what actions we will have time to implement in the game.
Outline an order of priority for game action implementation.
We continued adding more art assets and we assigned a priority to all possible actions in the design document.
The engineers have worked most of the bugs out of the framework, but still need to figure out how to mesh their respective frameworks together into one working model.
Today we continued working on the game, and have renamed it Cook Virtually.
We placed the following secondary priorities:
Variable levels of difficulty will be available to aid in recipe mastery/memorization
Increasing the difficulty level will result in a shorter time window and cause ingredients and/or quantities to become hidden
Higher levels will have more ingredients/measurements missing
We are working on getting the bugs out of the framework and implementing the drag and drop and ingredient destination mechanisms.
Today we presented our pitch which we have prepared this week. We had a good response with a few recommended changes.
We ironed out the ideas of the game and decided the following:
A kitchen display will be the play screen. There will be no character, but a drag and drop mechanism instead.