Week 17 – Finals!

Tuesday, April 29, 2014.

In place of Projects One, we enjoy our Narrative Studies final at 10:00 am.  We gather in groups of three and play each other’s board games and game books for about an hour, providing feedback.  I get great feedback from Brenton on Sparrow, who after just a few pages is so attached to the main character he’s afraid to play the game.  I also enjoy playing his game, InfoRunners, and Jing Hui’s, called Walk in the Mountains, which reads like a travel diary of a Chinese caravan and includes both interesting moral choices (should I be loyal to my duty or to my friend?) and intelligently created and named monsters.  I regret that we did not have time to play everyone’s.  I collected game books as a kid, and had over 100 at one point.

After class, I play Lone Wolf on my iPhone, which is inspired by a series of game books from the 1980’s.

Wednesday.

Three big events today.  I show up for an interview with Troy to work with the Lassonde Center on due diligence this Fall.  My background impresses him, though I hope staying up until 3 am working on projects did not reduce my chances.  His fellow interviewer is also named Jed and attends law school at the U.  I graduated just last year in law, so we have an instant connection.  They are looking for thirty people, so i have a decent chance.  Will my $1,300 suit make the difference? After the interview, I drive to Hires Big H and finish up my Projects One postmortem, which I submit just before five, about seven hours early. I then go to EAE North for Joseph Bourrie’s Virtual Worlds final.  I show off a concept for a Marble Madness sequel that I’d love to show off to EA.

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 10.15.27 PM Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 12.22.01 AM

It is hard to say goodbye to the semester.  Are we really not coming back for three to four months?  The semester feels incomplete, even though this is Week Seventeen! When we do come back, we will be second year Masters of Entertainment Arts and Engineering grad students!  We will also be joined by a new Cohort.

Special congrats to Cohort 3 for graduating this Friday and publishing two great games, CyberHeist and Vinyl!  We look up to you and hope to live up to your footsteps.