Week 5

Monday, February 8, 2016.

I take the day off to work on my second experimental game for Experimental Gameplay, codenamed Sunbrella.  The theme for week two is wetness.  I am told Sunbrella is actually the name of an international company, and not just a word for an umbrella you use to keep out the Sun, so I will have to change the name if I ever make something commercial out of it.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016.

The highlight of the morning is lunch at the Crimson Room with the whole team except Nidal, who is at an engineering job interview with React! Games.  I try the Vietnamese pho noodle soup, which is just right spicy.

Experimental Gameplay goes well in the afternoon.  Jose calls Sunbrella “good” and says it might be a little over scoped for the assignment.  I was also impressed with “Hue Manatee” by Greg and “My Own Worst Enemy” by Omi.  The group as a whole is very innovative, and I am proud to be part of the group.

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 9.06.56 PMJose brings in Swedish marshmallowy car candies from his trip to Sweden last week, where he was the guest offense to a doctoral thesis defense.  My favorite thesis defense is by Studio C.  I will have Team B.E.S.T. review it before our own thesis project defense for EAE in a month or two…

Wednesday, February 10, 2016.

We have a graduation date!  May 6, 2016.  There was some question whether we wished to walk with the Department of Engineering or Fine Arts, but the majority of Cohort 5 selected Engineering, hence the date.

mona-lisa-retouchedIn the evening I read a short book about Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa.  The book makes clear that we are not the first to have a double interest in arts and engineering.  According to Leonardo, “the painter, like the poet, must compose fictions that express great things.”  Could we also, through the power of arts and engineering, compose fictional worlds and experiences and characters who express great things?  I also find it interesting that Leonardo was first and foremost a designer of his paintings.  He often left the final execution to apprentices, suggesting a Producer type role for some of his commissions.

iclogoThursday, February 12, 2015.

We get an early Valentine from Microsoft!  B.E.S.T. is now officially a Finalist for the U.S. Imagine Cup!  Thanks Microsoft!  We <3 you, too!