Retro Yeti is back from break with a vengeance! Our design lead went to EA in Florida and is now working remotely so he stepped down as lead. Our Art lead also stepped down seeing as she was working as both staff for our program and art lead for our game. So things have been changed up a bit, but we didn’t miss a beat. We already had an iteration in mind and a plan of attack to get us there. We are only a week into the semester and we are ready to work the new ping and inhibitors into our design. I’ve stepped up more working with Level design which scares me a little seeing as I feel it is one of my weaknesses. I’ve been watching lots of games and getting references from everything I can to help. We have a plan to get more of our theme into the game and to really deliver the theme to the player.
Our new ping works like a flashlight now. It has a meter that will recharge when the player is running on a fast section. If you hit slow tiles the meter will go down and the radius will diminish. When the meter hits 0 it is a fail state. With the new mechanic we have added a new level item of inhibitors. Like the boss shots that create slow areas, the inhibitor will fall from the sky and reveal an area around it. When the player enters into the inhibited section if their ping is on it will convert the area to slow, so the player has to toggle on and off the ping to avoid the hit to their bar.
We find out Tuesday if we are an IGF Finalist. I’m trying not to be nervous because the odds are against us, but one can always hope.
This last week has been a bustle of tuning, tweaking, and iterating on levels and mechanics. After finishing another iteration of the enemy mechanics, I spent a night with our lead designer, Tony, going over our metrics and tuning values. I learned a bit more about designing which was a good experience. For this week, Our game had an iteration on most of the levels and we almost have our new wave emitter/Premonition – ‘ping’ ability in the game and ready to test out.
More on the ‘ping’ ability next time.
It’s official. I’m now on the 100th iteration of the enemy ISP character in the game. We are changing it to be more scripted sequences that the level designer can plan out. This will help us be more careful in our level design and what the player will experience.
We are also doing an iteration on the premonition ability. We wanted it to be more of a server ping that the player has to keep going to have a ‘good connection’ to the server. This will make the area which is revealed grow based on how well the player keeps the ping going.
These two ideas could drastically change things for our game, and we are hoping it’s for the better. We are also tackling problems with resolutions, quality, disorientation, and the ever looming 1st or 3rd person decision.
Some other big news for our game is that we are already starting to get press about our game. We have a theme of protecting net neutrality and it is starting to become a big issue. The President of the United states has come out and stood with Net neutrality making our cause even stronger.
Moving forward we are going to build more levels, iterate on problems we find, playtesting the game!