Published and Winter Break

So Rumble in Rome is published! It took some long hours in the lab and a lot of programming on my part to finally get it done. I’m not completely happy with how the game turned out. The opening screen is off center, The tutorial screen is super pixelated, and The core mechanic of bouncing around and destroying enemies wasn’t as tight as I would have liked, but the time factor really hurt this project. I’m hoping to find some time to fix at least the tutorial screen and the opening screen just because those are the first things the player sees.

Over the winter break I have been working on my own RPG game. Going with an old school feel of wandering through towns and an overworld in a story. It’s been a challenge, but the biggest challenge for me will be the art. I’m not sure if I want to just make some place holder stuff and outsource for art or work on being better at the pixel art. The other big challenge will be getting an intriguing story line. I’m not too worried about the programming. It’s just a matter of time.

Now it’s on to the next semester!

1 week and counting

ScreenshotRiRWe are down to the wire and the team is working great. With some encouraging words from Tobiah Marks (the creator of Blast Monkeys), we have kept running towards a published game on the Windows 8 app store.  We have planned to submit our game on Dec 10 which is two days before the due date. This will give us a buffer for unseen delays, but it has also encouraged us to work harder to get the game done. Our artist is hard at work getting an enemy character model done and a starting splash screen. Our engineers have to tweek the physics a bit and make sure there is damage on hit so the game is actually beatable. We have planned a work day today (Saturday) to get everything integrated together and get one giant step closer to being done. Today I’ll be working on some sound while the other producer is getting some particles in the game. It’s been a big help for us to have two producers that can jump into Unity3D and work on code or art in the game.

I am proud of this team and am excited to see where this product goes. I’m going to be submitting our game to a couple of app competitions. I think with our idea and small prototype we could get some funding to actually make the game bigger. 🙂

Let’s do this! Final week push!

Challenge: Publish in 4 weeks with a holiday in the middle. GO!

The project started with a giant free for all to find people for groups. Antonio and I decided to stay as co-producers then quickly collected Kyle, Swapnil, and Nathan. With our all-star team,we were ready to take the next game head on.  The next curve ball that was given to us was that we were to create a Windows 8 app and have it submitted for certification at the end of 4 weeks. This adds a whole new level to the production tasks to keep the game on track in four weeks and to make sure that the game meets the certification requirements. So we took the challenge and we’re running with it. We put our heads together the first day and put together a quick simple mechanic that we could do some iteration on and make fun. We took the mechanic of Dojo Danger which is an arena with enemy disks and player disks. The player touches the disks and pulls back on them and releases them like a slingshot. as they hit other disks they do damage to them. We wanted to iterate on that mechanic and add more a turn based system to it. We are going to make it so that each player decides how they want all their disks to move then hit a play button to see the movements acted out. This will allow for combo hits and other chain reaction gameplay.

We put together a good power point together to show what we wanted to do with our prototype and got the buy-in of our professors/EPs. We were ready to start making our game. Thankfully Unity3D just released capability to release on Windows 8 so we decided to again use Unity3D. The next three days I created a white box toy of our prototype to really show the team what the look of the game will be. Kyle also threw together a 3d Model of the player character. It was textured and ready to go which was super nice. The next class period came and Kyle gave us an 3d Gladiator arena to put our game in. With those we could start piecing the game together. Our engineers put together a turn based system, a damage system,and a simple AI that we could play with. With some refining over the holiday weekend, we’ll have a game we could iterate on by next Tuesday.  As Producers, we’ve been following the certification process closely and making sure that our prototype will meet the requisites. Also we had to go through the process to get a student developer account for Windows 8 and to reserve our game name.

It’s going to fun to get this published.