Problem of the Gameplay:
Gameplay & Emotion
- The tension of the whole gameplay is too continuous, player only could have a breath when he is inside the house or on the top of the silo. In this way, the emotion response would not be as strong as when he has at the beginning of the game.
- Player likes reaching the top of the silo. This place make him feel safe. So he tends to stay there for a while. We might take advantage of it to provide more information to player at that moment. Or once player gets down, he will be busy running and does not have time to check some information.
- The key in the well could not be noticed by some players. In GDC booth, they were trying picking up the item again and again even though the key had been already been picked up.
- Daughter’s ghost should react a little slower than player. Like when player chases her, after one second, she would run. In this way, player would feel he might be able to reach her, making him has the desire to chase her.
- The instruction is too obvious, and player feels like he just needs to follow the instruction and go to point A and point B. Player wants to explore by themselves. We could provide goal for him to explore, but he does not like we lead him to explore.
- The car crash at the beginning does not affect the gameplay later on. In this way, player does not feel it is the car crash brings him to this unrealistic place. And player even does not feel he would die. We should provide some feedback to player about the car crash.
- Ghost should build the connection between player and his daughter. Because
- The logic of scarecrow is still confusing. Even though player knows scarecrow would disappear, but he could figure it out why scarecrow behaves like this. Let’s put it in another way, if a vampire disappears when you use the lantern to shed light on it, player would not get confused. But right now in our game, scarecrow’s behavior could not be understood clearly.
- The way of scarecrow attacking is somehow confuses the player. Our scarecrow is neither a strong monster nor creepy ghost. Once player finds that scarecrow could not kill you immediately, he will give up looking back to scarecrow. Instead, player would keep running.
- When player looks at scarecrow from a far distance, the scarecrow should not stay still. Player does not like walking backward just to avoid the attack from scarecrow.
- Once player gets hit, he still has much freedom to escape. In detailed, player could run to anywhere even though scarecrow attacks him. Player does not lose so much after getting hit. Then he would not afraid of scarecrow so much.
Farm & House
- The layout of the house should be adjusted. Most of players could not find Patricia’s room is locked at first because there is a table on the right side of player when game begins. Player would not go across the table and then check the door. Also, the model of Patricia’s room does not look like an inside room door. Some players thought that door was to the outside. Meanwhile, the backdoor should be nailed with plank. Then player would get the idea that this door could not be opened.
- The backroom inside the house should be used on purpose. Many players explore the backroom several times but find out nothing happen there. Everything in game should make sense somehow, or it should be removed.
- The path of night three should be changed as player get lost easily. Also after the pot are destroyed, the text should be not shown anymore.
- Player could not notice he is in a farm at first night. The connection between player and farm has not been built through the whole gameplay. We should focus on how to build the connection between player and farm.
- The corn seems to be creepy at first, and player expects some events in the corn. But then he finds nothing happens in corn field. And corn does not mean anything special anymore.
- Newspaper and family photo should be added to the game.
Problem of the Test itself:
- We should provide more comfortable environment for the testers. For example, we should provide chairs for players. Only in a comfortable and safe place, then the player could engage totally into the game. So in the future, we should pay attention to this.
- We should encourage players to speak out their feelings when they are playing our game, like what they see, what they are doing, what cause confusing. For example, in the car scene, player might say something like: “I am driving a car, I don’t know where to go. Wait, something shining out there, what is that? The car is damn broken, and I don’t want to go outside.” From player’s words, we could find something we have notices before or even player has not noticed by himself.
- Make a list of questions and ask them to players one by one after they finish the test. The questions should be easy and detailed at first, like “Do you know Patricia’s room is locked?” Then the questions should be more abstract and focus on big picture, like “Could you describe the game story based on your understanding.” In this way, player could speak out what they think and how they feel about our game.