Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: April 2015

EAE day was a success. Our game was very popular and well received, it was the most played out of the C5 games. Everyone that played it had good things to say and were really interested in the progress of the game. It made me really happy to see the look of joy and excitement on peoples faces when they played it, especially when I brought my friends and co workers to play. This is the reason I am in this industry. A few days after GDC, we meet up as a team for lunch to set our summer plans. A few of the engineers will try porting the game to Unreal to see if it fixes our networking issues. The others will work on creating a team and lobby feature so we can try testing out different game modes. My job is to finish up the list of weapons, send it to the artists and engineers so they can create models, particle effects and code them. I am going with the idea of using standard arena fps guns, taking Roger’s advice of not using crazy guns to detract from attention the 360 camera should get. We set up a level design process. Everyone who wants to make a level should choose an existing fps level and build a level based on its theme/gameplay that utilizes the 30 camera. I won’t be able to do too much for the time being because they want me full time at React games until the current project is finished, but I’m looking forward to designing some interesting features and levels this summer!

With EAE day approaching, we were working to get a multiplayer build by then. I have been working on some level designs in the previous few weeks. I decided upon one that was a sky city with open platform and bridges, 3 levels of vertically and a 3 storied building in the middle. I prototyped it with Daniel and then I made a list of assets I needed and set it to our environment artist, Spencer. He built modular platforms and bridges and a few buildings for landmarks. There was a lot of sending things back and forth to be modified to accomplish my level design. It was then when I realized how important it was for the level designer to have art knowledge and be able to work well with the artists. I received the teleporters and jump pads I requested from one of the engineers. The jump pads didn’t work so I had to modify the level a bit to accommodate that. I should have worked and communicated better with the engineer to remedy this earlier. I started my level designer internship this week at React games so I won’t have as much time as before to work on the game, though we have more than enough manpower to pick up some of my slack.

Our problems are slowly being fixed. The artists finally decided on an art style, after our art lead showed the group reference photos that we all liked and fit our design guideline of bright characters that stand out against he background. Going with sci-fi robots that allow us to use a lot of straight lines. The prefab reset issue for level design was also fixed, apparently one of the engineers thought .meta files weren’t important and changed the Git ignore file to ignore all meta files, big mistake. This especially annoyed me because I personally told him not to touch the meta files since we did know what they did and ask Russell before touching them. At this point we just decided we wont give him anymore work to do so he would break less things. The other engineer who was supposed to experimental things, we gave easier tasks that he could accomplish since we thought he wasn’t doing any of his previous task because of lack of knowledge or skill.