Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: November 2014

The game was completed i n2 weeks, according to schedule. I gave us Monday to Wednesday to play test and tweak variables, group was on top of things like usual, with a little nudging from me. Creating the pitch was much less stressful and much more easier than last time. Didn’t have to pull a late night crunch and the graphic design knowledge I picked up from Production class helped give it a nice aesthetic quality. The pitch went really well, the audience loved the game, many of my fellow peers told me this was the best prototype of this assignment. The prototyping process went almost perfectly according to plan. I learned a lot about how important a producer is to a project and the impact they can have. As opposed to last prototype, I was extremely busy this time, talking to different members to see their capabilities, delegate tasks appropriately, set up reasonable timelines, checking up on tasks, keeping a sense of urgency, and stressing play testing and iteration. Also, since I was the lead designer, sound designer, and composer, that ate up any free time I had. This was all worth it though, for this is a piece of work that I have never been more proud of. And the lessons I can take away from this project will be invaluable in the future both for production and design.

Things are going very smoothly. All my group members are meeting their deadlines. All my engineers are skilled and work well with each other so I just speak with them during stand up meetings to get a list of what the next engineering steps are and how long they will take to finish. They’ve picked up html 5 pretty quickly. With the artists, I’ve been taking more of an art director position with them. Auditing the game art classes has come in handy now. Since my tech artist and artist are both more skilled in 3d than 2d, we decided to make this game in 3d and play with the camera angles later. I’ve started working on sounds and since things are going smoothly I’ve decided to create a short dubstep track for the game in Reason 5.

I think the only problem I ran into this week were two of my engineers being too concerned with the “big picture”. They were complaining on how certain movements combined with screen scrolling doesn’t make sense or defies physics. I had to keep on telling them to just build the game and that it was an issue we to play test to be able to properly observe it. I had to keep on stressing the importance of finishing the game by the end of the week to we can play test and adjust properly. I think its an engineers mindset to need to have everything planned out and making sense because they were persistence on the issue, it was eventually becoming a waste of time I had to tell them shut up and go work on the game. I think my message got through after that and the game should be on track to be finished by Saturday, giving us almost a week of play test and tweaking.

We began our 2nd prototypes this week. Our assignment is to pick a arcade game that only utilized a joystick and a single button that was made before 1983. The game my team chose was Tron, specifically the Lightcycle section of the game. I made a conscious decision at the very beginning of this project that I would learn from all the mistakes of the previous prototype. I was to be a more organize, strict producer with a sense of urgency. I also wanted to take the design lead. So from minute one of the project, I was setting timelines for when we would have to pick a game, choose an idea and begin work. Since this was a three week project, I set the dead line to have a working game in a week and a half. To accomplish this, I set the deadline for choosing a game and setting an initial idea for the end of the day. End of the day came along and we decided on Tron. Since I wanted to be design lead, I pitched my idea of creating a reverse shoot’em up where you use the trail to block waves of lasers. The team all loved the idea so we went along with it. I set up detailed timelines for the week on Trello utilizing the agile process we were recently taught  assigning different tasks to engineers to get the game working, and having the artists create concept art for Thursdays pitch. During the informal pitch on Thursday, Roger and Bob said they really liked our game mechanics, but thought we should change from a cyberpunk theme to something else. While their suggestions were good, I decided against it because I didn’t want to waste valuable time trying to think of another theme, and our group (myself included) all liked the cyberpunk theme.